Lease rental agreement
You should have received a copy of your lease rental agreement (agreement), including maintenance instructions, move in checklist, and any other necessary documentation. If you did not receive this or you need a copy, please contact us immediately or download a copy from your tenant portal which can be accessed throughwww.happydoorspropertymanagement.com. We recommend that you keep this paperwork along with this Handbook for easy reference. Please always remember your agreement is a binding. If you have any questions regarding your lease, please call your HappyDoors management team.
Fees and charges
HappyDoors goal is to have a positive working relationship with all of it’s residents. Our hope is for tenants to follow applicable laws, community rules, and the terms of the lease rental agreement. However, situations arise were a resident may not be in compliance. If such incidents occurs, you could incur penalties due to non-compliance. This includes, but not limited to:
- Late fee – the HappyDoors late fee is can be found in your Agreement if rent is not received by 5:00 pm on the 1st.
- NSF fee – in then event a payment is returned due to non-sufficient funds, whether it be to not having enough money in an account or incorrect bank information, you may be charge an NSF fee as described in your agreement
- Additional notice fee – if HappyDoors sends a notice but a resident does not respond, the resident may be charged an additional notice fee.
- 5 day notice fee for non-payment of rent – when rent is not received on time, Hawaii State Law requires the landlord to serve a 5 day notice for non-payment of rent. A fee is charged to a tenant when such notice is served/given/provided.
- Eviction coordination fee – if HappyDoors has to file for summary possession / eviction proceedings, an eviction coordination fee will be charged to the tenant in addition to any other legal fees, attorney fees, late fees, notice fees, etc.
- Utility coordination fee – As mentioned earlier in this Handbook, residents are to transfer utilities into their name by the 1st day they take possession. HappyDoors may charge a utility coordination fee in the event that utilities are not transferred in a timely manner.
- Missed appointment fee – residents are charge for any missed appointments, canceling/rescheduling an appointment with less than 24 hours notice.
- Reinspection or inspection fee – there may be inspection fee charge if there is a need to re-evaluate the Property, or if an evaluation is needed to follow up on a complaint or alleged violation in the terms of this agreement in which such complaints or alleged violations are found to be true.
- Maintenance/repair fee – Maintenance charge – HappyDoors will bill you if you have made an appointment with a vendor but failed to meet them at the scheduled time. If HappyDoors receives a service call billing, you are responsible for reimbursement.
- Community/HOA fine – when a fine/fee is imposed by an HOA or governing body due to a resident’s failure to comply with community rules, such fees/fines will be charged to the resident.
- Unauthorized pet fee – all pets must be approved by the landlord in writing prior to them being brought onto the premises. This includes pets belonging to guest, invited or not.
- Unauthorized occupant fee – additional occupants must be approved by the landlord in writing prior to them moving into the property. In certain cases, there may be an increase in rent. Anyone over the age of 18 must submit a rental application and will be subject to a background check. Approval may be subject to the results of the background check.
- Rekey coordination fee – residents must return all keys, remotes, transponders, fobs, etc. when moving out at the time possession of the property is transferred. Failure to do so may result in a rekey coordination fee.
- Carpet cleaning fee – all residents are required to have the property professionally carpet cleaned by and IICRC certified carpet cleaner once and year AND when vacating the property. Failure to do so may result in a carpet cleaning coordination fee.
- Cleaning coordination fee – professional cleaning from a pre-approved service provider is required when a tenant is moving out of a property. Please contact HappyDoors for a list of pre-approved cleaners. Failure to have the property professionally cleaned by a pre-approved provider may result in a cleaning coordination fee.
- Break lease/early termination fees – if a resident terminates a lease and/or vacates prior to the termination of the agreement without written consent from the landlord, they may be responsible for a break lease, any referral fees paid to Agent in order to secure a new tenant, advertising costs, management fees through the end of the agreement, and any applicable leasing fees.
- Repair coordination fee – if the gross repair cost to complete repairs in order to restore the property to it’s original condition after a resident has moved out exceeds $1,000, they may be subject to a 10% coordination fee based on the gross amount for all maintenance/repair items.
- Holdover rent increase – if the a resident continues in possession after the date of termination without the landlord's consent, pursuant to HRS 521-71, the tenant may be liable for a sum not to exceed twice the monthly rent amount which will be calculated based on a daily basis.
- Collection fees – in the event a resident is sent to collections, they will be responsible for all collection and legal fees. Note that collection fees are often a percentage of the total amount owed. This amount varies.