Getting to know your residence
When you move into a property, it is helpful to know where important items are located. Take the time to know or locate the:
- Main circuit breaker in the event power goes out.
- Gas shut off valve (when applicable) – turn off during emergencies/disasters for safety.
- GFCI outlets – so you can check them if your plugs or appliances in the bathroom, kitchen, laundry area, exterior outlets or garage fail to work.
- The main water shutoff valve in case of major flooding.
- Water shutoff valves below the sinks and behind toilets in case of water leaks.
It’s also important to know proper cleaning techniques and what chemicals are designed/safe to use on different surfaces. While all purpose cleaners are convenient, they are not necessarily the best product to use. Before applying any products, please review the product label to 1) verify it can be used and applied to the type of surface you are working with, and 2) review all proper use, handling, and storage instructions. Here is a list of a few different types of surfaces that you may encounter:
- Granite, corian, quartz, laminate/formica, and tile countertops.
- Exterior of oven, microwaves, refrigerators, and dishwashers.
- Interior of ovens, microwaves, refrigerators, and dishwashers.
- Fiberglass tubs and tub/shower enclosures.
- Cast iron/porcelain tubs.
- Tile enclosures for tubs and shower.
- Carpet, wood, wood laminate, vinyl/linoleum, natural tile, and ceramic/porcelain tile.
- Flat paint, satin paint, and semigloss paint.
- Sealed concreted, unsealed concrete, and asphalt.
- Vinyl window/door frames, metal window/door frames, and wooden window/door frames.
If you are uncertain about any of the above items, contact your HappyDoors team for help.