Having roommates is a great way for two or more people to pool their money and resources so that they can rent a nicer place. Whether its a significant other, friend, relative, or complete stranger, its strongly recommended that you have a separate roommate agreement. HappyDoors does not provide/furnish roommate agreements as this is an arrangement this is not directly related to the landlord. These types of arrangements can very drastically depending on the relationship and longterm intentions.
Common things that should be discussed in advance includes, but not limited to:
- Rent and utility breakdown; who pays for what and how much.
- Cleaning responsibilities.
- Yardwork and general maintenance responsibilities.
- Conflict resolution incase roommates do not agree.
- What happens if someone is sick, looses their job, or otherwise cannot contribute anymore.
- Individual privacy, noise, and guests.
- Parking arrangement.
- Damage to property and determining responsibility as well as payment.
- What happens if a roommate fails meet their obligations.
Having a written roommate agreement is a great way to help great a general understanding of everyones responsibilities and contribution. It can also protect you in the event it doesn't work out like you had intended it to.